Swagbucks

Search & Win

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's Fall.

I have been trying to upgrade my computer which turned into me screwing a bunch of stuff up. I'm not meant to be on the Geek Squad, obviously. So it has taken me a few days to fix everything I screwed up and be able to get to my pictures... meaning I'm going to combine this 1 post into the 2 recipes that I wanted to share with you.

You know when you wake up one day and realize that it has gotten like 30 degrees cooler, and the leaves have started to pile up on the sidewalks. When you having to dig through your drawers for a sweater to put on b/c it's that cool out in the morning.... Well all that makes me want to bake. Warm hearty comforting meals and anything with chocolate....

One of the Fall meals that I remember my mom making for Thanksgiving, year after year was acorn squash with a butter and brown sugar. I haven't had this recipe since I was oooh maybe 14-15. So 10+ years later (yeah do the math, I'm still under 30), I saw them on sale and bought acorn squash. I was then surprised that Michael had never had acorn squash. EVER. All the years we have been together, and all the cooking his mom did growing up. So last night I inaugurated him into the acorn squash fan club.... It turned out just like I remember.

Acorn Squash (makes 4 servings)
WW pts. per serving: 3 pts.

2 Acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed (like you would a pumpkin-leaving the fleshy part)
4 tbsp light butter/margarine
4 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a sheet pan, place the acorn squash with cut side down. Bake for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, remove from oven, turn over and place 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp brown sugar in each 1/2. If the acorn squash seem to slide around on the sheet pan, I take a square of Foil and make a little ring to sent the squash in. Works everytime. Then bake for another 30 minutes.

Really good leftover too!!


The second recipe is a woops on my part. I took out some bison, thinking it was going to be flank steak type. It turned out to be ground bison. So our Bison fajita salad, turned into ground bison taco salad. Still good!!! You can use ground beef for this if you want.


Bison Taco Salad (makes 4 servings)
WW pts: varies, depending on cheese and meat

Ground Meat, browned
1/4 Olive oil
1/4 Vinegar
1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp pepper
3 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1 Tbsp Oregano (mexican if you can find it)
2 Tbsp Lime Juice
1/2 diced onion
1/2 diced red pepper or yellow

Mix all the Oil, vinegar, peppers, cumin, chili powder, oregano and lime juice in a bowl and stir with a fork to mix. Saute the onion and pepper in 1 tbsp olive oil. Then add back the ground meat. To warm, add the mixture of seasonings and let it cook down. Adjust the seasoning to your taste if you want to add other stuff.

Cut lettuce, then top with meat and veggies, and cheese and salsa.

I usually make a dressing to go on it. 1 cup salsa, 1/2 cup fat free sour cream. This dressing also makes a great dip for tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment