Shepherd's Pie (makes 6 servings)
WW Ppts: 6 pts a serving
1 1/2 pounds (3 potatoes was enough) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks.
1/2 cup plain fat free yogurt
2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley (I used 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes)
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 pound lean ground beef (5% or less fat)
1/2 pound ground turkey (breast meat only)
1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas (I used peas and carrots mix b/c it's what I had)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Put potatoes in medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. With potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in yogurt, parsley 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beef and turkey, cook breaking apart meat with spoon. Once fully cooked, drain off any fat.
4. Add tomatoes, peas, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
5. Spread meat mixture in 10 inch deep-dish pie plate or 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top. Bake until potatoes begin to brown and filling is bubbly about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
The only thing that I can think that would have made it any better. Is some brown gravy. But that is only b/c I'm used to Shepherd's pie with gravy. There are some low fat option out there that only use water to mix. Which I would have made except I didn't have any.
The Tuscan Bean Soup was delicious, but I "bulked it up a bit". Without making it go way up in points, and it was worth it.
Tuscan Bean Soup (makes 4 servings)
WW Ppts: 5 pts a serving
2 tsp Olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 Carrots, diced
2 Celery Stalks, diced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 - 15.5 ounce can Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups Chicken broth, fat free
2 - 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp crushed Rosemary
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 package of Tyson Ready Grilled chicken breast strips
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; cook stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant. About 30 seconds. Stir in beans and broth. With potato masher, coarsely mash cannellini beans.
2. Stir tomatoes, basil, and pepper into soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until carrots and celery are soft but not mushy. Heat Chicken strips in microwave and then mix into soup.
3. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.