Swagbucks

Search & Win

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Spicy Chicken Cacciatore

Way back in 2005 when I first joined Weight Watchers they had a program that was divided into Core and Flex. Flex used the points system that Weight watchers has evolved into a healthier program. Core was the other version that had certain foods that you could eat until you were satisfied (NOT STUFFED). It was a more regimented eating plan, where you ate lean meats, protein, fruits and veggies, some whole grains. Basically a healthy well rounded diet. When I first joined I never thought of doing the core plan. But after 8 months on a plateau. I was beyond frustrated. I can remember leaving meetings after not seeing a loss, or seeing a gain on the scale and crying out of frustration.

I finally told myself that I would try the Core plan, honestly for 8 weeks. And if it didn't get me off my plateau then I would quit Weight Watchers... within a week I was losing again. And after having lost another 30 pounds, I ended up pregnant with my little munchkin. Or I would have probably lost more.

While we were doing Core, I collected a 3 ring binder full of recipes. Some were great, while others were so so. One of the great recipes is this Spicy Chicken Cacciatore recipe. I haven't changed the recipe, but just re-calculated it for Weight Watcher's new points program.

Spicy Chicken Cacciatore (makes 4 servings)
WW Points Plus: 8 pts a serving

4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 medium green pepper, diced (or sliced)
1 cup mushroom, sliced
4 Chicken Thighs with skin removed
4 Chicken drumsticks with skin removed
2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added, drained
2 Tbsp dried parsley

In a large saucepan or stock pot over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender and mushrooms release juice, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add basil, curry, salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 30-45 minutes or until chicken is done.
Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions and keep warm. Transfer pasta to bowls and spoon 1 chicken thigh and drumstick then top with Tomato mixture.
Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment