Swagbucks

Search & Win

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Will's last swim class.

Today was Will's last swim class. We got about 20 minutes of it in before a thunderstorm popped up and they closed the pools. Forcing everyone out.

But in the 7 weeks of swim lessons it brought my attention to a few facts that I knew but had forgotten about Will, and a few that I learned. He loves water, go figure what kid doesn't love water. But Will hates his face in water, water near his face, or anything like that.

The few things that Will did learn and master in his class is he knows to sit on the side of the pool and wait until we tell him it's ok to get in. He learned how to put his hands on the side of the pool and turn and slide into the pool and the BIGGIE for me, he knows how to grab the side of the pool and hoist his little leg up and pull himself out of the pool.

The thing that Will reminded me during all his swim classes is: He does things on his own time. You aren't going to force him to do it, until he is good and ready.... I think that gene is my fault (big shocker I know). He wouldn't kick in the pool. Now he will kick. He will flip over onto his belly, which is the opposite of what they were trying to teach him in the class. They usually want kids to learn to flip on the backs and learn to float if they ever fall into a pool. And of course the whole getting his head wet. It is obviously something that we are going to have to keep working on it with him.

It's funny how seeing Will refuse to do something like lay back against your chest in the pool, kinda makes you feel like a bad parent, when your kid doesn't trust you enough to lay back and kick. Michael is still trying to convince me that it's not me, it's Will... but I'm still not sure. I just want to know that if he was to fall into a pool he would be able to float long enough to get to the side of the pool, or until someone could get him.

Guess I'm just going to have to chalk it up to another day and another worry of being a parent. Regardless of my worries, we will keep taking him to the pool, knowing that he isn't the next Michael Phelps. He's just our Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment