Swagbucks

Search & Win

Friday, August 13, 2010

Perciatelli all' Amatriciana

I know it's a crazy name. And from the recipe it's just a simple pasta dish... I guess they just had to get all fancy with the name. Oh well. I did have to substitute and adjust the recipe. One day I swear I'm going to splurge and actually buy the real pancetta that recipes call for, and not go cheap and just use regular bacon. I liked this dish because it wasn't a "heavy" pasta dish that some can be. And of course with my love of mozzarella cheese, I had to fight not to want throw a couple tablespoons on the top and melt it in the oven (which I think would have topped this dish off). But it's good either way. I might just call it Bacon Tomato Penne next time.

Perciatelli all' Amatriciana (makes 4 servings)
WW pts: 5 pts. a serving

1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped finely
4 oz. Pancetta (I used Turkey bacon b/c it's what I had)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used chicken broth b/c we didn't have the wine)
1 -28 oz. can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
1/4 tsp salt
6 oz. whole wheat penne noodles (it called for Perciatelli, but I only had penne)
1/3 cup grated parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese.

Bring a large pot of water to boil.
Meanwhile heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bacon and red pepper flakes. Saute 10 minutes or until onion and bacon are golden.
Pour in wine (broth) and bring to a boil, stir in tomatoes and salt,. Bring sauce to a boil, lower heat, and simmer stirring occasionally.
When sauce has simmered for 10 minutes add pasta to boiling water and cook according to directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Drain pasta; add to sauce in skillet and toss over medium heat 1 minute until pasta is well coated. Remove from heat, stir in cheese and reserved pasta water and toss well. Serve immediately with extra cheese.

I made a side salad so we could have some extra veggies for the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment