Swagbucks

Search & Win

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Smell of Louisiana is in the air.

Can you tell I'm obsessed with the Cajun and Creole Encyclopedia yet?
Yeah. Go figure.
Tonight we had on the menu Shrimp Etouffee. I'm not sure if I messed it up by adding too much water, or if it was supposed to be more "soupy". Either way it was good. The one thing I wasn't expecting was it calls for Sherry. I opened the bottle of Sherry cooking wine, and out wafted a reminder of my grandmother who passed away almost 6 years ago. Bless her heart, she always had her coffee cups with "tea"... but we all knew that smell. It made me stop for a minute and realize that it has been that long and that I miss her, always going garage sale-ing, her love of Hardees Hot ham and cheese sandwiches, love of Scrabble and CSPAN. Seeing pictures of her twin that lives in South Dakota still tugs at my heart. But I know we had her for a long time, and must cherish those memories. Funny how certain smells bring back such vivid memories.


Shrimp Etouffee (ww 2pts per cup)
Makes 8 servings

1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 stick of butter (I used light, I know it seems like a lot, but the roux needs it)
1 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1-15 0z can diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1- 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
8 cups water
1/8 cup Sherry
1 cup Sliced green onions
1/2 cup Parsley
salt and cayenne pepper to taste
2 cups Steamed Rice
Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste

In a Deep stock pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, celery, peppers, tomatoes, garlic & Bay leaves. Saute 3-5 minutes or until veggies are soft. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly to make a white roux (white paste). Blend in shrimp and tomato sauce into mixture, cook 5 minutes, stirring to prevent the tomato sauce from scorching. Slowly add water until a sauce-like consistency. Bring to a rolling boil then reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Sherry, green onions and parsley. Cook 5 minutes then season with salt and cayenne. Serve over steamed rice with a few dashes of hot sauce.

We served it with 1 serving of brown rice for each of us.
Making the whole meal 8 WW pts. And we had a side salad, because if you haven't heard we have a TON of croutons. *smiles*. I love free croutons!!


There is also an appetizer recipe that my friend Amy C. had at her daughters birthday party that I have to share. This dip may sound "weird" but I promise you, make it 1 time, take it to a party, and see if you come home with any.... It just won't happen. Now I'm not going to figure out the points, because frankly I just don't want to scare you.. but it's good for taking somewhere, where you won't have to eat the whole thing by yourself. Thanks Again Amy C.!!!

Parmesan Onion Dip
2 Cups Parmesan cheese
2 cups Vidalia Onion (or sweet onion) diced
2 cups Mayo

Mix together, and pour into a PAM sprayed 9x13 dish (or casserole dish). Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Serve with crackers.

It is super simple!!

No comments:

Post a Comment