Swagbucks

Search & Win

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Brussels Sprouts- Who knew.

I forgot to take a picture tonight of dinner.- sorry. We had a wonderful marinated pork tenderloin by Smithfield brand (same people that make the awesome bacon that I L.O.V.E). With butter noodles and Brussels sprouts. But I got to thinking about something.

Why for years have I scrunched up my face at Brussels Sprouts?

Maybe because I was eating bad food, and a lot of it? I did, so maybe the high fat, fast food that I was eating 2-3 times a day was way better tasting at the time.

Maybe because I had that childhood disgust of them that most kids had? Even though I don't remember ever being made to eat them, (thanks mom).

Maybe because of the unknown? This is probably the most likely answer. You hear all the horror stories about how bad they taste, so you have that thought already in your head. Well thanks to Weight watchers and their online forums of women. They convinced me to try them. And you know what. Their good. Now I'm not saying everyone is going to go gaga over them or that I want to eat them everyday for the rest of my life. It probably doesn't hurt that my tastes have changed so that I can actually enjoy them now. They still aren't fresh chocolate chip cookies, but for a green veggie. I'll eat them.

So thanks to Green Giant brussels sprouts in a light butter sauce. I convinced myself if it's covered in a butter sauce I could probably choke it down once... That was months ago. And since we have tried roasting them too. And let me just say. Roasting them= awesome. They get this crispy outside, with a softer center, and the parmesan and garlic on them just make them melt in your mouth.

So for anyone adventurous enough, or already likes them. Try this:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
1/2-1 lb of Fresh Brussels Sprouts
Salt (optional)
Pepper,
Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Parmesan cheese.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Wash and cut brussels sprouts in half. Long ways, so that the "core" keeps them together. Then in a bag/covered dish. Sprinkle with Olive oil, then garlic salt, pepper, regular salt (if you choose). Then bake them in the oven for 20 minutes, flip them and let them finish cooking 20 minutes. When they come out of the oven and are still hot, sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on them, then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment