Swagbucks

Search & Win

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Better than your ordinary Cornbread.

There are a few smells that remind me of my childhood. Not in a bad way. You know what scents I'm talking about. The ones that you smell and instantly your transported back to being 11 and coming in from playing with the neighborhood kids, fireflies in a jar on the porch and the sun setting as you look out the window at the table. My mom always used to make this recipe for us, after we would have Taco's. She would use the leftover taco meat, and poof another dinner of Mexican cornbread. Now most of you might think Mexican cornbread with just peppers in it. But this is like a heartier, dinner in a dish. I did lighten it up since starting Weight Watchers, but honestly you would never know the difference. It has all the same flavor and honestly it doesn't fill me up as bad.


Mexican Cornbread (Makes 6 servings)
WW pt value: 7

1 Box Jiffy Cornbread mix
1 egg
1/3 cup of milk
1 can Creamed Corn
Leftover Taco Meat, or 1/2 lb of ground turkey or beef
1 cup Salsa
2/3 cup Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown Hamburger meat (if not already done). In a bowl mix together cornbread, egg, and milk. Then fold in creamed corn, mixing through. Spray 9x9 pan with PAM. Then add 1/2 the cornbread mixture. Layer the meat, salsa then cheese, then top off with the rest of the cornbread mixture.
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until cornbread is done and golden brown.



*You could probably lighten it up even more if you wanted to use fat free or reduced fat cheddar Cheese, but personally I would rather spend the points on the real stuff. It just tastes better to me. And we had a salad with it as well, so I get a veggie or two in there.

I can't remember if I ever told you guys, or if you already knew this, but Cumin is amazing. I use it 10 time more than I use Taco Seasoning enough so, that I actually bought a big jar of it at Sam's. It is the distinctive flavor in Taco seasoning, without all the sodium, and if you've read any of my posts, you know how much I hate extra salt. So for my taco Seasoning I use:
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Black Pepper

1 comment:

  1. Maybe seeing this will help me get back on the WW bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete