Swagbucks

Search & Win

Monday, July 5, 2010

Roasted Chicken and Summer Vegetables.

I'm going to start a list of my LOVES:

I love fresh veggies especially when I can go out into the garden and get.
I love getting meat on sale.
I love the Strawberries from Sam's this year. Which go so great on fresh angel food cake.

What's one of yours??

Tonight is one of the cheapest meals to date.... at 75 cents a person... Not too bad huh!! While in Kroger a few weeks ago I found a package of split chicken breast on sale. It was marked down to 3 dollars. So tonight when I opened the package to start dinner, I was surprised to find 3 HUGE chicken breasts. When Roasting Chicken I like to have the bone in and skin on. I know it adds a little fat, but it keeps the chicken moist. Plus, you don't have to eat the skin... So 3 chicken breasts means 2 meals and a lunch for me. Yesterday Michael picked 2 squash from our garden, and while having dinner with my in-laws they provided us with enough corn for a couple of meals, straight out of their garden. Meaning that our whole dinner we only had to pay for the chicken!

I found this recipe/instructions on roasting chicken in Cooks Illustrated. Which I read in the middle of the night a few years ago while feeding Will. It kept me interested several night, reading it cover to cover. I really should get a subscription to the magazine. B/C I have learned so much from that magazine.

Oven Roasted Chicken.
WW pts: 5 pts.

1 Whole Chicken or Split Chicken breast with bone in/skin on.
2 tbsp. light butter
Italian seasoning
Crushed Rosemary
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl mix the butter and spices (you can try out different flavors if you like) with a spoon until mixed. You don't want to melt the butter, you want it cold. Take the chicken breast, and with your hand lightly separate the skin from the meat. But not completely. Then take 1/2 the butter mixture and put in between the skin and meat. Spread it out as much as you can.
Then on the outside of the skin, brush a small amount of canola or olive oil. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven until the chicken is 170-180 degrees. Or if you poke it with a knife, the juices run clear.

We sautéed the squash in a tsp olive oil, and boiled the corn....
Our whole meal was 7 pts.

No comments:

Post a Comment